Son of John F and Annie A (?) Raynor.
Born: April 9, 1877 in Freeport, Queens County, Long Island, New York.
Died: April 11, 1978 in Huntington, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York.
Buried: Huntington Rural Cemetery, Huntington, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York.
Census: 1880 - Freeport, Queens County, Long Island, New York. Last Residence: Huntington, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York.
Occupation: Editor of the Union Gazette, Huntington, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York.
Married: Ethel Rosalie Van Sise April 9, 1907 in Unknown.

April 11, 1978
Huntington, N.Y. D. Nelson RAYNOR, former editor of The Union-Gazette, died yesterday morning at Huntington Hospital of an apparent heart attack.

Mr. Raynor, who turned 101 Sunday, was a civic figure of the Tri-State area since 1926 when he and his wife Ethel, came here from Long Island. "Uncle Dan" as he was known to most, was editor of The Union-Gazette for 38 years. When he retired from The U-G in 1955, he didn't retire his typewriter. He simply crossed the Delaware and took over the helm of the Pike County Dispatch. Mr. Raynor's involvement in journalism spanned 75 years.

The First Presbyterian Church of Port Jervis was dear to Mr. Raynor's heart. He served as a ruling elder. Last year, at his 100th birthday party, a member of the church, Walter Von Ignatius, called Mr. Raynor an "elder's elder."

The Raynors were involved in various local activities. Mrs. Raynor was a member of the Music Study Club. The Raynors presented the club with an autoharp last year in Mrs. Raynor's memory.

After his retirement from the Dispatch, Mr. Raynor went to Long Island to live with his son. However, he still did not quit his activities nor his passion for recording his thoughts. His failing eyesight limited his reading and couldn't type as well as he did during his days of dashing out daily editorials. But that did not deter Mr. Raynor.

Turning to the electronic media. Mr. Raynor did his writing with tape recorders. A history of Huntington by Mr. Raynor was recently published in the Huntington Historical Quarterly.

Although his health had been failing, Mr. Raynor remained alert and conscious of his friends and his past. Last year, there was an open house in celebration of his 100th birthday.

Friends from all stages of his life, in addition to politicians, honored him with gifts and praise. Looking back on his century of life, he had said the most memorable event was celebrating five golden wedding anniversaries. Mrs. Raynor died in 1975. Mr. and Mrs. Raynor had decided that every fifth anniversary after their 45th anniversary would be a golden one. The Raynors were married for 68 years.

When asked what was the best part about being 100, Mr. Raynor quipped "I'm alive."

Funeral arrangements are incomplete but are scheduled to take place tomorrow at 10 a.m. at the Huff-Harris Funeral Home, Huntington, N.Y.

(Source:"gone gravin'"/Dianne)