Notes for ROSWELL RANDALL, GENERAL:
Son of Robert and Lucy (Chesebrough) Randall, Sr.
Born: August 13, 1786 in Stonington, New London County, Connecticut.
Died: August 18, 1871 in Cortland, Cortland County, New York.
Married: Harriet Stephens March 27, 1818 in Oxford, New Haven County, Connecticut.
His sister, Maria, married Harriet's Uncle, Alvin.
General Roswell Randall received a good education and read law in the office of Stephen O. Runyam, of Oxford. and soon after his marriage to Harriet Stephens, he gave up the practice of law to engage in mercantile business with his brother.
(Source: "Pioneer History of Cortland County, New York: Early Settlers in Cortland County, New York", by Hermon Camp Goodwin, "The Connecticut Nutmegger"; XXVIII:1:24-32; Connecticut Society of Genealogists, Inc.; Glastonbury, Connecticut (CT Per SCGS)
Roswell Randall was an early Post-master of Cortland Village, and has honorably filled various other positions. His military rank of Brigadier-General was attained through the several gradations, commencing with fourth Corporal. He was much admired as a military officer. And now, at the age of seventy-two, with his physical and mental constitution unimpaired, has but partially retired from the active duties of life. William and Roswell Randall were energetic businessmen. The monuments of their memory may be seen in the elegant residences, erected at their expense, which adorn and beautify the village.
(Source: "Pioneer History of Cortland County and the Border Wars of New York"; by Hermon Camp Goodwin; p. 389; A.B. Burdick, Publisher; New York City, New York; 1859 (NY 203 SR) (974.772 G65 NYSL) (F44.H5 C6 CSL)
William Randall was born in the year 1782. His brother, General Roswell Randall, was born in 1786. Their father, Robert Randall was a native of Stonington, CT. William was reared to farming pursuits. Roswell obtained a superior education, and studied law with Stephen O. Ranegan, of Oxford. he was admitted to the bar, but never practised. The brothers engaged in merchandise together in Madison county, but removed to Cortland Village about the year 1812, where they continued the business. Their store was on the site now occupied by that of James S. Squires. They were highly successful in trade, which continued for a number of years. they at length dissolved their partnership, and William erected a store, which is now the Randall Bank. Roswell built the Eagle Store, now unoccupied. when they finally discontinued the mercantile trade, the former engaged in banking and farming, and the latter in cultivating his farm. William Randall was emphatically a man of mark iin his day. He possessed a clear, strong, and vigorous intellect, a firm and resolute mind, a warm and generous heart, and was in shot, a valued citizen. He died Dec 23, 1850. Roswell Randall was an early Post-master of Cortland village, and has honorably filled various other positions. His military rank of Brigadier-General was attained throught the several gradations, commencing with fourt Corporal. He was much admired as a military officer. and now, at the age of seventy-two, with his physical and mental constituation unimpaired, has but partially retired from the active duties of life. William and Roswell Randall were energetic business men. The monuments of their memory may be seen in the elegant residences, erected at their expense, which adorn and beautify the village.
In the mean time the two brothers, William and Roswell Randall, who established themselves here as early as 1813, had extended their business operations to a wonderful extent for so small a place and early a period. They had two large stores, one operated by Roswell where the squires block stands, and the other run by William in the Randall Bank building. They owned distilleries and asheries, two of the former being located on South Main street. They dealt in everything the farmers had to dispose of, from tow cloth to live stock, and early laid the foundation of the wealth they subsequently acquired.
(Source: Biographical section of the "Pioneer History; or Cortland County and the Border Wars of NY" by H.C. Goodwin 1859)