Notes for HARRY HOOKER HART:
Son of James R and Ellen (Blakley) Hart.
Born: September 29, 1862 on family farm south of West Lebanon, Indiana County, Pennsylvania.
Died: Unknown in Unknown.
Married: Margaret Ann Kier December 15, 1897 in Kent, Indiana County, Pennsylvania.
Harry Hooker Hart was reared on the home farm, and until he was nineteen years of age attended the West Lebanon public schools, his first teacher being "Doc" Crawford. He worked on the home farm until he was nineteen years old and in the spring of 1882 of the same year he began teaching the school at St. David, Illinois, returned to Pennsylvania, and at Pittsburg secured a position as fireman on the Pan Handle division of the Pennsylvania railroad. During the period he ws injured on three different occasions in wrecks, and he then became a conductor on the Pennsylvania Avenue motor line, in Pittsburg, a position he continued to hold for three years. In the fall and winter of 1889-1890 Mr. Hart taught the school at Henry, Indiana County, and then gave up teaching, returning to the home farm, which he purchased in 1890.
Mr. Hart leased his farm for coal to the Pittsburgh Gas Coal Company for thirty years, and was foreman for the company from February 1, 1906, to September, 1906, when he removed to Indiana. From October, 1906 to April, 1907, he was foreman for W. B. Willard, who was putting in waterworks in Indiana Borough. On April 1, 1907, Mr. Hart was appointed to his present position. [Superintendent of the Oakland Cemetery.]
On December 15, 1897, Mr. Hart was married to Maggie A. Kier, daughter of John L. and Julia A. (Brown) Kier. They have no children of their own, but are rearing an adopting child, Doyle L. Templeton, who was born February 8, 1902, at Gastown, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. They are members of the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Hart is a Prohibitionist in his political views. Fraternally he is connected with McCanless Lodge, No. 390, F. & A. M., Pittsburg, Zerubbabel Chatper No. 162. R.A.M. and Pittsburg Commandery, No. 1, K.T., also the Cosmpolitan Club of Indiana, and taken an active part in these organizations.